A Pioneer of the Future

By Sop - November 10, 2020

A Pioneer of the Future 

Photo from: Getty Images


        I distinctly remember back in Grade 11, how I used to stare outside our classroom window, looking at the subjects our upperclassmen in the opposite room were taking. This was something I loved about senior high, how we had a variety of subjects to take. I’ve heard stories from my friends belonging in the higher batch talking about the 21st Century Literature subject. Initially, I thought that this was a subject made to discuss young adult novels. As a girl who enjoyed reading fantasy novels and immersing herself in a world of knights and queens, I was greatly captivated by the idea of devoting a whole entire subject to talking about fantastical worlds that were created by 21st Century authors. With the thought of revisiting the pages of the “Harry Potter” series in mind, I was more than excited to take up this subject. However, as I entered the 12th grade, I realized that the subject was nothing like what I have envisioned. It wasn’t a subject talking about fantastical, dystopian worlds, or conversing about popular novels that young adults have grown to love, but rather, it’s a subject that gives people a glimpse of the past. It showed me what became the foundation for the literature we have now. Moreover, the difficulty of the subject made it even more of a challenge. The subject 21st Century Literature has trained me to become a better pioneer of the future. 

         In retrospect, the 21st Century Literature subject was actually all about dissecting works of authors who made an impact on society, how their works had messages that were worth passing on to the next generation. The authors that were talked about in this subject have all encapsulated their thoughts in these literary pieces that they created. By revisiting the past, I was able to see how powerful of a tool literature was to create a better outlook for the future. I’ve always been taught by my father about how looking into the past can help shape what tomorrow may bring – and, it was true. As people believe that history repeats itself, the truth is that history only repeats itself if people let it. Once I understood the transgressions of the past, I was able to foresee two steps further forward. Being able to predict even the slightest bit of the future gives me the capacity to impose social change and prevent even more damage that can be done. 

         Following the idea of how knowing the past makes it easier to foresee the future, I realized the importance of the battles that we are facing today. The subject broadened my mind and encouraged me to become more aware of the situation around me as I realized that the battles of today will be those that will change the outcome of tomorrow. I realized that in today’s time, the battle still hasn't ended. To cite an example, the plea for racial equality in the United States of America has become even more intense. The stories that we hear and actions that we do today are those that will become beneficial in future years to come. It made me realize my role as a person in inflicting change at the present time because the future of the nation depends on it. The things we do today will be what’s written in the history books of the next generation. 

Photo from: Getty Images


         Looking back now, I saw what truly made me understand the value of literature was because of a performance task that was assigned to us by our teacher. I have been assigned to report about Pablo Neruda. At first, I was really worried about how I’d do because of the fact that Pablo Neruda was a giant in the poetry world which meant I had to analyze his poems. Sadly, I have always disliked poetry because of how convoluted it can be. However, as I started to read Neruda’s works, I eventually developed an interest, most possibly because I understood what he was trying to say. His words felt so simple, but his message was there and it was evident. Neruda was not like any other poet. He was courageous. He was unafraid to stand up for what’s right even if it meant putting himself out there for all the world to judge. During the Spanish Civil War, Neruda was very vocal about his stand against Francisco Franco in his poem entitled "I'm Explaining a Few Things". He deeply emphasized why he was speaking up: change. He knew that it was his role as a poet to educate people, enlighten them, make them see what’s happening around them, in order to impose the change that was needed for the betterment of tomorrow. I’m certain he made not only me, but a lot of people realize our importance as citizens that could make or break the country’s future. He made us realize our roles in the nation’s development. Reading Neruda’s works sharpened my mind and opened my eyes to the power I hold in my hands to dictate the future to come. 

Photo from: @kitapkritik24 on Twitter

         As the youth is regarded to be the building blocks of the nation, this subject was also able to shape me as a person to become a better contributor to society. I saw how the difficulty of the subject pushed me beyond my limits and prepared me to face even bigger challenges that may arise. Aside from emphasizing the importance of the past in a country’s development, this subject was also able to help me develop a better mindset. The COVID-19 pandemic has not made it any easier to learn. With a subject that had challenging requirements, I was sure I’d be having a difficult time. However, as time passed, I was able to accomplish each task that came my way. The four months that have passed were a long and toilsome journey. I remember how I’d sit in front of a laptop screen for the whole day straight just to think about what to write for an essay or put off doing a video presentation because I felt unmotivated. However, as these trials come and go, I learned to emerge even stronger. As I sit here writing this essay, I’ve only spent around 10 minutes thinking about what I was going to write. With difficult situations that came my way, I’ve learned to properly manage my time, to think more critically, and to face challenges with my head held high. I was like a plane fueled by determination to reach for the stars in the vast night sky. The subject taught me lessons that I know can pay off in the long run. 

        Taking up the subject of 21st Century literature was no easy feat because it challenged not only me but all my batchmates as well, to become thinkers, writers, speakers, which was all because we first became readers. At the end of the day, we were all taught a valuable lesson: as we are here today, reading about records of the past, we learn to become better people for the future. As the subject tested us of our capabilities and pushed us beyond our limits, we were taught to remain resilient in trying times and continuously strive for excellence. As we end our first term of this school year, only one step separates me and my batchmates from facing a new challenge altogether: college. With a subject that helped shape me as a person, I’m sure the lessons I learned will be those that I will take with me through college and the years to come.

Lyra Sophia Tan
Grade 12 - ABM
Philippine Institute of Quezon City, 2021

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments